About the Project
Protect the Ocean creating a unique dive site in the world
The Ocean Project Revival is born with the objective to promote the underwater tourism in the region by creating an exceptional diving destination. For the first time, four vessels connected by a common history were deliberately sunk in the same place.
The four warships, representative of a Navy Fleet, form the largest single artificial reef structure in the world with the ideal conditions for the proliferation of marine life.
Learn more about Ocean Revival project:
A unique artificial reef in the world
Marked by buoys the Ocean Revival reef consisted of four decommissioned vessels from the Portuguese Navy fleet that will serve as artificial reefs.
The ZambezeOcean Patrol (292 tons, 44 meters long and 8 breadth).
The Oliveira e Carmo Corvette (1430 tons, 85 meters long e 12 breadth).
The Almeida Carvalho Hydrographic ship (1320 tons, 64 meters long and 12 breadth).
The Hermenegildo Capelo Frigate (2.700 tons, 102 meters long and 12 breadth).
In accordance with OSPAR Convention rules, the ships are cleaned of all environmentally hazardous materials or dangerous for divers. This preparation is being done with the help of Canadian Artificial Reef Trading Consultant (CARC), that accounts for more than 23 Navy vessels deliberate immersions around the world.
Four warships that played a key role in the history of the Portuguese Navy sunk one by one a few dozen metres from each other, creating an authentic and freely accessible underwater theme park along the coast of Portimão.
This is the biggest artificial reef in Europe, where a fleet that once formed a whole armada will be transformed into a sanctuary brimming with marine life, with a complementary visitor centre on dry land, at the Portimão Museum.
This is a pioneering public interest project that brings the potential of the Portuguese sea - testimony to the history of the country - to the forefront and will attract diving enthusiasts to experience an unforgettable experience, adapted to suit all levels of difficulty.
This project will boost a sector of tourism that has enormous potential for Portugal and will develop the marine economy, meeting with all safety and environmental protection conditions as well as creating jobs and leading the way towards sustainable economic and social development.
It is, also, an unforgettable opportunity for scientific advancement in the area of marine biology and the study of species.
The perfect place for a great diving experience
The Ocean Revival Algarve is situated off the coastal town of Portimao in southern Portugal. More precisely along the east side of the artificial reefs of Alvor, the bathymetric of 26 to 32 meters, with a minimum clearance of 15 meters. The reef will be one mile from the anchorage of Portimão, 3.3 miles from the port and 2 miles from the coast opposite to Prainha. A carefully selected location for the following reasons:
Very good diving conditions
- Good sea condition over 300 days a year;
- Still waters, safe for diving;
- Water temperature between 14 ° and 22 ° C.
Excellent accesses and infrastructure
- A maximum of 3 hours flight from major European cities (Faro airport is only 40 minutes by motorway);
- Tour packages at attractive prices;
- Wide range of accommodation;
- Huge range of tourist and leisure activities (beaches, water sports, boating, golf, bird-watching, tennis, motor sports, entertainment, etc.).
A theme park: many experiences
Around the dive site formed by the four ships their a set of infrastructure and services, not only to ensure support for the safe operation at the site but also to make the visit even more rich and interesting:
- Exhibition Centre on land, where the history of the sunken fleet is documented with drawings, photos and films of the ships, the chronology of his career and documents about its historical context;
- A hyperbaric chamber, located in Portimão, at the service of the local community and available to any and unlikely emergency dive;
- Other routes underwater, including the identification, cataloging and dissemination of other dive sites, demarcated and protected, allowing divers to safely explore the many sights of the region.
The immersions: a show starting from the first sinking
The inmmersions of the vessels, sunk sequentially, were an attraction in itself. Accompanied by a show of fireworks, which was seen from shore and will be followed by the media.
Once on the seabed, the show will continue. First, with the explosion of marine life on the ships. Then with the many activities, filming and other initiatives on a recreational, scientific or artistic work that will host the Ocean Revival Algarve.